One of the most common questions we get from parents is: when should I take my child to the dentist?
Ideally, we would recommend you start bringing your child to the dentist as early as 1 to 1 1/2 years old. Starting at this young age enables children to begin their dental journey on a positive note.
A visit to the dentist at this age usually helps children become familiar with the dental office. It is therefore important to start at this young age to help the child avoid future anxiety and fear and develop trust in the dentist.
Positive attitudes on the part of parents are the most important factors in determining the child’s outlook on visiting the dental office.
Here are some things you can do that will help make the first dental visit enjoyable for your child:
* Read your child a book about going to the dentist
* Let your child meet the dentist prior to the appointment
* answer questions honestly but not with too much detail
* make sure your child has a good night's sleep prior to the appointment and if possible schedule a morning appointment
* Book the appointment early in the morning as children are more calm and alert
Good early dental care often leads to a lifetime of good oral care habits.